[nycbug-talk] booting FreeBSD v6.2

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 2 16:58:48 EDT 2007

Hello:
I am working with a home built Gigabyte/AMD64 system
I had FreeBSD 6.0 installed on the machine and it was
running fine as a development server. I recently had
problems trying to install v6.2 on an MSI RX480 Neo2
motherboard and AMD64 processor. The machine refused
to boot the install cd from commercial boxed cd set. It
kept panicking on hardware and memory disc issues.
I decided to go to the Gigabyte/AMD64 system and reconfigure
that machine with three SATA drives. One is to be the boot drive
and the others are SATA 10k rpm drives dedicated to /usr and
/var file systems. Sysinstall lists the drive numbers as ad4 ad8 and
ad10. I installed the system successfully  and when came time
to reboot, the system refuses to boot.
This is the console output:
FreeBSD/i386 boot
default: 0;ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
Boot:
Invalid Partition
No /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
default: 0;ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
Boot:
I tried
Boot: ad4s1a
and got the same response,  Invalid Partition.... etc

I do not know what to type here. If, as I configured the
drives the root filesystem with the kernel is on ad4s1a
from other installations and the manuals and data, the
first IDE master is ad0 but I am not using IDE. I am
using SATA drive. No SATA as IDE  option in bios.
what do I do here. The FreeBSD handbook and other
publications I have do not give me enough info to
figure it out.
If any FreeBSD gurus on this list:
Thanks, I appreciate any knowledgeable info on this.
I have queried the FreeBSD general question list but have
not gotten response. (They have been indignant, somewhat,
because I have been bypassing ports and just building and
installing Apache, php, and MySQL from source tarballs. )

I have been doing Linux, Mac OSX, and FreeBSD for about 5
years, as a 'hobbyist' and wannabe web designer/developer
I have static ip addresses and run my own dns servers.
manage internal network, have built and installed server
software from source, ran patch and rebuilt FreeBSD kernel
to add support for ethernet device. I Avoid Windows as much
as possible.
Who I am: www.brushandbard.com
Jeff K