[nycbug-talk] booting FreeBSD v6.2

H. G. tekronis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 19:54:43 EDT 2007

On 9/2/07, jekillen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>
> >> This is the console output:
> >> FreeBSD/i386 boot
> >> default: 0;ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
> >
> > J:
> >
> > Gotta love how this stuff still happens in 2007, huh>
> >
> > What we need to do is validate that the BIOS of your motherboard is
> > mapping device at 0x80 to what FreeBSD later interprets to be "ad4".
> >
> > The 1st and 2nd stage boot loader isn't going to know anything about
> > kernel device names.
> >
> > We know because the 1st stage loader is starting that the BIOS is
> > picking the correct physical drive to read the MBR from.
> >
> > Break out of the boot loader and send us the output of:
> >
> >       lsdev -v
> >       boot-conf
> >       show
> >
> Learning how as I go .... how do I break out of the boot loader, to
> what shell? What runs this series of instructions?
> Thats is deeper than I have gone to this point. Like, even though I
> have found my way around the shell enough
> to do tar -xvf (ect) and ./config and all those incantations, and even
> find my way through errors here and there,
> tinker with some shell scripting, python scripting, even some console c
> programming; and lots and lots of php.
> Nothing can be worse than javascript from scratch from text books. But
> I got the hang of that too.
> this is something I am unfamiliar with.
>
> > Also, we can find out what changed in loader(8) on AMD64 pretty easily
> > between 6.0 and 6.2 using CVS.
> >
> just some extra data if it makes a difference here, I am using generic
> kernel, not AMD64 (and I presume
> there is a difference).
>
> Thanks for the response and info.
> Jeff K

Right during the point during the boot process, when you see the little
spinner spinning, pay attention.
You'll soon see text that reads "Hit [Enter] to boot, any other key to go to
command prompt"

Right at this point, you smack any key except Enter.  You should end up in
at the boot loader's prompt,
which is where you can execute these commands.