[nycbug-talk] booting FreeBSD v6.2

Andy Kosela andy.kosela at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 14:00:23 EDT 2007

On 9/3/07, jekillen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>

> >> Right during the point during the boot process, when you see the
> >> little
> >> spinner spinning, pay attention.
> >> You'll soon see text that reads "Hit [Enter] to boot, any other key
> >> to go to
> >> command prompt"
> >
> > Correct.  And as far as GENERIC on 6.2/amd64, this is basically an SMP
> > kernel.  But the kernel version will not effect your problem so long
> > as /boot/kernel/kernel is exists ~BAS
> >

> Thank you for the info.
> Along this line I understand that the AMD Hyper Transport Technology is
> different than Intel's Hyper Threading Technology
> and makes them more suitable for servers. Is that what the AMD64
> specific versions are designed to take advantage of?

FreeBSD's AMD64 is more commonly known as x86-64 architecture and it includes
both AMD family of processors:
# AMD Athlon 64
# AMD Athlon 64 X2
# AMD Athlon 64 FX
# AMD Opteron
# AMD Turion 64
# AMD Turion 64 X2
# AMD Sempron

and also Intel's 64 line (also known as EM64T):
# Pentium 4
# Pentium D
# Pentium Extreme Edition
# Celeron D
# Xeon
# Pentium Dual-Core processors
# Intel Core 2

It's quite a standard nowadays, both in server and desktop market.
just my 2 cents.

I just found this BSD group. I would like to say peace to everybody.
It's so beautiful to
see so much people interested in sharing the knowledge and keeping
alive the legacy of BSD.

--
Andy Kosela
Protect Ya Neck Records/Wu-Tang Management