[nycbug-talk] Day 1, EuroBSDCon 2007 report

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sat Sep 15 01:55:48 EDT 2007

Hi Everybody,

Day 1 of EuroBSDCon is over, and the first day ROCKED.  The facility
is great, and they provided all meals (and pleasantly, ample coffee
and tea all day).  The venue is far away from any stores or food, so
it's necessary- but they're taking good care of everyone.

The talks:

Starting backwards, the end of the day had Steven Murdoch with the talk:
"Hot or Not: Fingerpring hosts through clock skew"
- Surprising and insane lecture- basically, how to compromise TOR in
many ways simply using principles in machine temperature.  Totally
insane stuff.  (the speaker is paid to work on TOR these days, but he
gave many ways to break it)

I saw Claudio Jeker give an overview of "Using OpenBSD as a Routing
Platform", good stuff.

I saw Simon L. Nielson give the structural low-down on "The FreeBSD
Security Officer Function"

I missed Robert Watson and Soren Straarup speak, they were right
after my talk on jail(8) and I had to deal with some things...
(cigarettes and posting lecture notes)

Sadly, Sam Leffler was home sick with a Flu, but dig this: He video-
taped his talk from his home office, and the organizers did a
multimedia thing.  Sam ran over about 30 MINUTES into my talk, so I
was trumped by a ghost!  Ha!

Mark Balmer (Swiss) from the OpenBSD project did a talk on his work
with Radio Clocks in OpenBSD, VERY VERY cool work- and a great
presentation.  (Makes me want to setup a radio clock NTP server in
Williamsburg when I get home :)

Other stuff I missed, Ryan Bickhart did a talk on TCP-to-SCTP
translation shim in the FreeBSD kernel, Pierre-Yves Ritschard did a
talk on OpenBSD Load Balancing, all very cool guys- and people seemed
to really like these talks.

--
That was day 1, very very impressive orginizaton here, the DKUUG,
(Danish Unix Users Group) are totally swell folks- very much like

Sidenote- funny-
The Hostel where most of us are staying is nice, but barebones-
HOWEVER, Kristen Nielson (DKUUG guy, organized the tutorial
sessions)- he works for the big scandinavian telco, and hooked up a
100mbit internet connection in the basement at the Hostel, for
everyone's use.  I repeat- he whipped up a temporary 100mbit pipe, so
we could have internet access at the Hostel.

Holy moses.

Oh yeah- a big reception last night was held at the Zoo, (yeah, I
thought it was weird too at first)- and I was suprised to see camels,
flamingos, lions, etc...  Very nice Zoo.  We also got a tour to see
the only Tszmanian Devils which exist outside Tasmania or Australia,
(the zookeepers were very proud of them, they were like a gift to the
royal family here or something...).  They look like pot-bellied pigs
but meaner, and somehow cuter.
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=26124

--
/salute, that's the report for now- day 2 starts soon, and I'm
jetlagged :)

Rocket-
.ike