[nycbug-talk] Day 2, EuroBSDCon 2007 report

Mischa Diehm md at mailq.de
Sun Sep 16 05:37:34 EDT 2007

Hellas,

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 06:55:31AM +0200, Isaac Levy wrote:
> I can't tell everyone how INSANELY COOL this is.  Also, Pawel got
> some animation help from a friend, the talk was really well done.

tatally agree on that. ZFS has it all (Shots, Clones, Integrity...) You
name it.

> Antti Kantee and Allistair Crooks did a talk about ReFuise,
> "Userspeace FUSE Reimplementation using puffs"- which I wanted to
> see, because I know nothing about it-

Same applied to me - so I went and checked it out. Turns out that Antti
has had the same idea like the FUSE guys apparently not knowing of or
interested in their implementation at the time. So he implemented puffs
which is very nicely integrated in the FS layering of NetBSD. By the
time it was working there were already many Userland FS-implementations
for FUSE ... Along came Alistair and did a reemplementation of FUSE
named ReFUSE which sits on top of puffs and allows the use of all
existing FUSE FSs. If that stuff got you interested go check out:

	http://www.netbsd.org/docs/misc/puffs.html

On a site note Antti mentioned that the implementation should be easily
portable to the other BSDs... looking forward to that.

Speaking of the conference I totally agree with ike and I'm looking
forward to next years conference in Strasbourg, France.

Mischa

p.s.: ike's last talk about jails or second last - I guess you never
know - was as usual a very nice and entertaining show.