[nycbug-talk] upcoming IPv6 meeting

gene cronk quigongene at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:56:18 EDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> Word,
>
> On Sep 17, 2007, at 4:45 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>
> > For those of you who attended the last meeting, you know that we have
> > Gene Cronk in town.
> woot!
> <snip>
> > It's on that note that we ask that others provide input to Gene to
> > make
> > sure the meeting begins to address the main questions on everyone's
> > mind.
>
> To be straight, I'm really looking foreword to the more *practical*
> parts of IPv6 deployment, how to setup a tunnel on a home or office
> network, how to set up a tunnel in a datacenter enviornment...  the
> basics.
>
> What I'd like the meeting *not* to be, is a discussion of the
> possibilities of if/when/why kinds of v6 discussion...  I mean,
> there's enough of that which can happen with or without Gene in town
> IMHO...
>
> But I could be wrong, does anyone else want to just focus mostly on
> doing stuff with IPv6? I'm sick of discussing the socio-economics and
> politics of the whole thing for now...
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

I'm trying to keep this one more along the lines of a technical talk, as it
seems you can go to just about anywhere technical that's giving some sort of
IPv6 talk and get the "you really need to use IPv6 because of
blahblahblah".  Nobody's really covering HOW to use it.  I'm attacking it
from more of a "I want to set this up at home and play" perspective, but I
will be digging around on how to set it up in a datacenter using standard
routing/peering protocols.  I'll do my best with the datacenter side stuff,
but it may not be spot on.  The tunnel and daemon setups, OTOH, will be.
You'll be able to take my methods home with you and get a tunnel up that
night if you wish (or the next day if you've had a couple too many at
Suspenders....;-)).

I'm not really going to touch the WHY you should learn it.  Everyone has
heard that ad nauseum.  If you want to discuss the whys after the meeting,
cool, but for the most part during the talk I want to stick to the down and
dirty HOWS.  Sound good to everyone?

--Gene