[nycbug-talk] That crazy typedef

Tim A. techneck at goldenpath.org
Thu Apr 3 17:38:31 EDT 2008

We bounced this around a little last night.
First line of code presented in "Designing BSD Rootkits" (by Joseph
Kong) is the
Prototype for the module event handler function as defined in
sys/module.h FreeBSD source header

typedef int (*modeventhand_t) (module_t, int /* modeventtype_t */, void * );

At first it didn't make any sense. But I was, like, ok! there's only so
much you can do with a typedef!

Brushing up on my C recently, this just seemed a more complex kind of
typedef than I'm used to.
Checking the C Pocket Reference did not help, but as Marc pointed out
K&R had the answer.
Actually, a nearly identical example.

If I am now understanding it correctly,
the statement creates the type modeventhand_t as a pointer to function
returning int and taking three arguments,
(that inline comment threw me off at first).

Just thought I'd share that for anyone else who was curious about it.

And, please, correct me if I'm wrong.