[nycbug-talk] Student's / College's Interest in NYCBUG / NYBSDCon '08

Tim A. techneck at goldenpath.org
Mon Apr 14 11:12:55 EDT 2008

I attended the first NYBSDCon while a student at BMCC in 2005.
At the time, it was the first conference of it's kind I had attended.
(Of course, it turned me on to many more.)
It was an inspiring and excellent educational experience and a great
opportunity to meet other like-minded BSD aficionados spanning the gamut
from new users and home sysadmins to hard-core developer gurus and
kernel hackers, and some of my favorite authors.
Since then, my continued association with NYCBUG has been the most
persistent and valuable influence on my personal and professional
interests as they relate (not only to BSD, but on a wider basis) to IT,
not to mention a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

One thing I've often regretted is the lack of involvement by more
students, then and now.
Sure, we get the occasional Columbia grad student doing their Thesis
project and that's always welcome--good stuff.
However, coming from a working-class community college back ground, I
can't help but think it a tragedy that the students who could most use
this sort of influence are the furthest from it.

With that in mind, and with George's encouragement, I'm reaching out to
BMCC this year to help raise awareness of NYCBUG in general and the
upcoming NYBSDCon '08 in particular.

We would also like to invite anyone on list having an interest in or
contacts at any of CUNY's or other college campuses throughout the city
to get involved in helping to promote awareness among faculty, staff and
students of the upcoming NYBSDCon '08.

~Tim