[nycbug-talk] printer recommendations?

Josh Rivel josh at rivels.org
Tue Apr 15 21:49:14 EDT 2008

Marc,

Marc Spitzer wrote...
> Well the list has been quite so what the hell.
>
> I am looking for a printer for home use, here is my hit list:
>
> 1: laser
> 2: monochrome
> 3: network ready
> 4: duplex
> 5: can handle envelops and other odd stock
> 6: cost new under $300
>
> I am looking for something like the lexmark 250dn, but that seems to
> be getting harder to find.  I also want fairly good toner life as I do
> tend to print books on occasion.  SAMSUNG ML series ML-3051ND, from
> newegg also seems to fit the bill.
>
> So what do you think?

I'd stay away from some of the lower end Dell's.  I got a Dell 1710,
then picked up a wireless adapter for it on eBay for ~$20, but
it doesn't do PostScript, so it's Windows only, I can't
print to it from my aging G4 PowerBook either (OSX 10.4.whatever)

I think that the print server is a rebranded Lexmark, but since it
doesn't handle PostScript, it's useless in *nix, CUPS won't play
nice with it. (Not sure if it will work directly connected via the
USB cable, but that kind of defeats the point of having it on the network
now doesn't it....)

Josh