[nycbug-talk] The Next Step

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Mon Aug 18 12:04:58 EDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 10:13 PM, H. G. wrote:

> Punishment for using cryptography has now been added to the queue:
>
> http://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Terrorism_militias/patriot-act-II-analysis.php
>
> Time for us all to go back to using rsh.

Astoundingly ridiculous, yet somehow not surprising.

Are padlocks next on the list?  Do we all need to make copies of our
house-keys too, and send them to our local police precinct?

--
my .02¢:

My favorite quote, which I think is the best line yet about our entire
American situation:

"The government* has an insatiable appetite for data. But the mindless
accumulation of data is not intelligence. Intelligence requires
focused thinking and focused questions. Instead, we're building a
Tower of Babel. If this continues, we'll get the worst of both worlds
-- all the disadvantages of widespread privacy invasion with none of
the security benefits."

(* - insert Google, Amazon, Our Banks, XYZ company/network here and
the idea still holds...)

I feel this is the best line I've seen on the big picture problems
yet, especially since there's no tinfoil hat involved.  The problems
we're creating today with this are quite simple- and will have long-
lasting effects.

Rocket-
.ike