[nycbug-talk] The Next Step

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Mon Aug 18 12:38:43 EDT 2008

Word,

On Aug 18, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Marco Scoffier wrote:

> Isaac Levy wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 2008, at 10:13 PM, H. G. wrote:
>>

>>> Punishment for using cryptography has now been added to the queue:
>>>
>>> http://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Terrorism_militias/patriot-act-II-analysis.php
>>>
>>> Time for us all to go back to using rsh.
>>>

>> Astoundingly ridiculous, yet somehow not surprising.
>>
>> Are padlocks next on the list?  Do we all need to make copies of
>> our  house-keys too, and send them to our local police precinct?
>>

>   "This analysis is of the draft of January 9, 2003."
>
> Any idea if this is still being proposed or was it shot down a long
> time ago?

Ah- good thought,

Wikipedia says it went nowhere (am I correct here posting this?):

"The draft, which was circulated to 10 divisions of the Department of
Justice,[18] proposed to make further extensive modifications to
extend the USA PATRIOT Act.[19] It was widely condemned, although the
Department of Justice claimed that it was only a draft and contained
no further proposals.[20]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

Rocket-
.ike