[nycbug-talk] Setting up a FreeBSD "backup" box

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 23:48:58 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> If you were given the task of setting up a FreeBSD box with 1 TB disk
> space (mirrored RAID 1) for use by multiple clients for backing up their
> data (mostly via rsync and sftp), how would you set it up?  Yes, its a
> given that one would use a minimalist install, create home dirs for each
> client, enable quotas to keep file storage under control, but what else?
> Is there a shell out there that ONLY allows the use of rsync and perhaps
> sftp?  I've seen rbash and people also set the shell to sftp-server.
>
> Just wondering how others would set this up.  Thanks!

how parinoid do you need to be?  you could put each customer in their
own jail on one end of the spectrim or unix file permissions on the
other.  after that we can talk about how to do what you want.
depending on the scale, number of clients, ZFS might be worth looking
at.  By default I would lean toward each having his own jail and
possibly ip and if ip space is a problem then a bidirectional nat with
everybody getting off ports for their access.

marc

--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus