[nycbug-talk] NY/NJ companies using FreeBSD

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Dec 11 10:20:36 EST 2008

Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:
>
>> Any Yahoo! sysadmins on this list? Has Yahoo got data centers located
>> in NY/NJ areas running FreeBSD?
>
> Not all companies are necessarily at liberty to discuss (on a public
> mailing list, anyway) either the location of their datacenters nor the
> exact numbers of hosts running a given operating system (or version
> thereof).
>
> But it's no secret that Yahoo! does have a large number of hosts running
> FreeBSD.

Andy:

A long while back, maybe five years ago, we attempted to do this with
NYCBUG. . . . create a central database of NYC-area BSD using companies.

With such a vague goal, ie, determining BSD-using firms for the sake of
it, it's difficult.

If you actually explain what your goal is, it might be a bit easier to
provide some direction. . .

eg.,

are you looking to apply for dev/sa jobs?

are you cataloging BSD-based hardware solutions?

do you have a service to provide to those firms?