[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD 4.4 bad checksum?

Ray Lai nycbug at cyth.net
Wed Dec 17 01:53:20 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Ray Lai wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> For the OpenBSD folks here- whom do I report a bad checksum to?
>>>
>>> My download of this ISO from a mirror, I believe, is giving me the
>>> wrong md5 checksum:
>>> http://mirrors.24-7-solutions.net/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/i386/install44.iso
>>>
>>> $ cat MD5 | grep install44
>>> MD5 (install44.iso) = 6bff6dd0f2a703e5f99a82ed3e120b6c
>>> $ openssl md5 install44.iso
>>> MD5(install44.iso)= f3ad84cdde68754d6ac03ccce862165b
>>>
>>> I downloaded from another mirror and the checksum looks great.
>>>
>>> I looked around at the mirror's site, (24-7-solutions.net) and I'm not
>>> sure who to contact...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance folks!
>>>
>>> Rocket-
>>> .ike

>> mirror at 24-7-solutions.net according to cvsweb:
>
> Cool, thanks, but before I shoot them an email,
>

>> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/www/build/mirrors.dat.diff?r1=1.134;r2=1.135;f=h
>
> can you explain this quick to me?

I tracked down the change to ftp.html using cvs annotate that last
touched ftp.html, to see if maybe the commit log included some contact
info. I discovered it was generated by build/mirrors.dat, so I looked
at the commit that was made at the same time ftp.html was regenerated
(May 30, 2008), which pointed me to the diff I saw. At that time I
realized that mirrors.dat actually contains the mirror maintainer's
e-mail.

Long story short, you can find the mirror maintainer's e-mail at
build/mirrors.dat.

-Ray-