[nycbug-talk] some Upcoming NYCBUG Events and BSDCons

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Dec 23 15:21:02 EST 2008

It's five years ago this month that the New York City *BSD User Group
was initially organized.

The list of accomplishments is great, from fund-raising to NYCBSDCon,
and everyone involved has much to be proud of.

We have a number of meetings lined up for 2009, but are always looking
for more speakers and topics relevant to the *BSD projects.

On January 7th, Larry Ludwig will be speaking on Puppet, as a follow-up
to this past July's Cfengine meeting.

February 4th's meeting will be Victor Duchovni on Postfix performance
tuning.

And on March 4th we'll have Tom Limoncelli back for a discussion on Time
Management for sysadmins and developers.

*    *    *

The number of BSD-specific conferences has proliferated over the past
few years, and we welcome the addition of DCBSDCon, held merely a few
hours away by Chinatown bus in Washington, DC.

DCBSDCon (.org) will be held February 5th and 6th at the Ward Marriott,
bumping right into ShmooCon.

While the CFP closed December 1, registration is now open at
http://dcbsdcon.org/register.html.

AsiaBSDCon (.org) will be held March 12-19 in Tokyo, Japan.

Finally, BSDCan (.org), which immediately picked up the flag from the
previous BSDCons back in 2004, will be held May 8th and 9th in Ottawa,
Canada.  Two days of technical tutorials precede the conference.

Dozens of people from around New York have attended this conference over
the years.  Registration opens in March.

Most BSD conferences will be holding BSDA exams conducted by the BSD
Certification (.org) Group.

For anyone looking to travel to any of these conferences, we encourage
you to query the talk list for other travel companions.  Carpooling or
shared bus travel to DCBSDCon and BSDCan is encouraged.

On the last note, a big thanks to each and every participant in NYC*BUG
activities.  To another successful year!