[nycbug-talk] router/firewall recommendation ?

pete pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Dec 23 18:43:46 EST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:22:47 -0500 (EST), Charles Sprickman
<spork at bway.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, matt at atopia.net wrote:
>
>> I second pfSense on a soekris. Worked nicely for us when we used
>> m0n0wall to implement a university housing network.
>
> I'll third it, but on old Dell GX-110s.  $99 on EBay plus a new hard
drive
> (or flash drive or SSD drive).  Quiet, low-power and a bit more oomph
than
> the Alix stuff, plus a full install so you can fiddle around with all the

> packages.
>
> While it's based on pf, the learning curve here compared to even a simple

> pf.conf is much, much lower.

sheesh, try to get some work done and you miss a whole thread ;^)

one thing that i was pleasantly surprised with pfsense was the built-in rrd
graphing.  you can turn off the webUI too if you want, but i found it quite
nice to not have to setup snmp and a rrd graphing server in our small
office.

having said that - heck yea, {open,free,net}BSD might be the way to go if
you have the time and/or interest to get everything up and running by hand.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org