[nycbug-talk] [ccc related] MD5 considered harmful today

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 01:01:38 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

>    cs> https://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca/
>
> ``Until Firefox 3 and IE 7, certificate revocation was disabled by
>  default. Even in the latest versions, the browsers rely on the
>  certificate to include a URL pointing to a revocation server.''

man that sucks... so even if this issue in the paper is addressed, it won't
matter until the browsers fix the revocation mechanism.

> pwaaaahahaha!  rapidssl ist gePWNen!

I'll have to throw in the part that really wowed me... frankly I can barely
wrap my head around the POTS creation of signed certs, but maybe I'm dumb.
Too many damn tiers... should rather be based on many peers, but I'll write
the paper up later on this though : )

http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca/<https://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca/>:
"It turned out to be possible to hide [MD5] collision blocks inside
RSA
moduli while even assuring the security of the pairs of moduli as being both
products of sufficiently large primes. "

-jesse