[nycbug-talk] building home firewalls out of soekris boxen

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Feb 4 17:39:43 EST 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Dan Langille wrote:

> Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> Never played with them, but I have a PCEngines Alix box on the way to setup
>> with pfsense for a client:
>>
>> http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=492
>>
>> It seemed like a much better value than Soekris.
>>
>> Just thought I'd throw that out there.
>
> $180?  What is involved in transforming that hardware to a running computer?
> What OS?

I bought a CF card reader for $5 at monoprice, that should be it.

The above price includes the Alix board w/3 10/100 ethernet, 1 mini PCI
slot, 256MB RAM, 500MHz Geode processor, 2 USB ports, power supply and the
enclosure.  We couldn't justify the Soekris at that price.

I'm putting the embedded version of pfsense on there (FreeBSD + PF + very
sophisticated web interface).  If I were to try and emulate some of the
stuff pfsense does with QoS without the GUI, I would surely fail. :)

I know a number of people running pfsense and they are very happy with it.

http://www.pfsense.com/

Charles