[nycbug-talk] cluster storage

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:37:55 EDT 2008

On 3/24/08, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> having said that - isilon systems (www.isilon.com) makes a scalable
> clustered storage solution based on FreeBSD.  they have implemented
> thier own filesystem to do this.

So, yeah, the Isilon system is pretty sweet, as they say, although your
budgetary requirements may vary.

One thing they are a bit cagey on is using idle nodes for cluster
processing. They keep some facets of their system hushed, and haven't
released an API (and apparently don't intend to) howev they do hint that
you're free to have at it yourself. I have a pending request to them for
some clarification in this direction as I would like to be able to take
advantage of an over-powered/under-utilised cluster in such fashion.

In the meantime it's a great solution until a better/non-proprietary fs
comes along (asmentioned I'm hoping zfs will
make good on Sun's promise, though not holding my breath.)

Forest Mars
--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."

Switch to Name.Space: http://namespace.org/switch
Support new domains & keep free media free! Register yours today!
https://secure.name-space.com/registry