[nycbug-talk] Serving High Performance Web Sites --- UNIGROUP Meeting 22-MAY-2008 (Thu):

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Fri May 16 15:39:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM, George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:

> well one approach is to use squid as a reverse proxy.
> problem with a lot of (all) alternate webservers is
> they are not apache, so various modules and howtos just
> don't apply to alternate. Using a reverse proxy lets
> the proxy serve pages that don't require apache while
> querying your *unchanged* apache should a request come
> for dynamic or expired content. Squid is designed for
> speed.

That's one approach for sure, though it seems like it's rate of adoption has
dropped off, possibly bc it's seems easier to do just about anything aster
with lighttpd. I don't know offhand any corner cases of something you
*can't* do faster with light-y, though there may very well be some.

So aside from squid adding an extra point of failure, and whether or not
squid is designed for speed, what about the added latency to parse & proxy
each request? Not to mention the additional hardware requirements that don't
actually give you any real increase in capacity, even after throwing
additional cpu cycles to compensate for the performance hit. I'm just
saying...

ps to George- Hope you can make the talk on Thursday, just to keep things
lively!

best,

Forest Mars

--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."

 Switch to Name.Space: http://namespace.org/switch
Support new domains & keep free media free! Register yours today!
https://secure.name-space.com/registry