[nycbug-talk] Nagios or...?

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:34:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've still got some old (1.x) Nagios installs that basically work, but
> have become a bit quirky.  I started looking for info on upgrading and it
> seems like the easiest path they've got is to start from scratch on the
> new version.  Since even that is a fair bit of work, I'm wondering what
> else is out there that's comparable.
>
> Quite some time ago I installed Zabbix and it was a good example of what I
> do not want.  It was pretty much web-only config which was an extremely
> inefficient way to enter more than a handful of devices.
>
> Something that would integrate graphing of some monitored items, ability
> to export usage stats on some monitored services to billing, and some
> pre-made/clonable templates for common devices/services would be my
> pie in the sky solution. :)

Well nagios 3.0.2 is stable so do not do 2.x,  and here is a quick
answer to db intergration:

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=38&expand=false&showdesc=false

Although it may be a little quicker then you want.  Although I would
not want direct db connection, I would write a script that dumps files
into a directory and have another that loads things into the db every
so often.

thanks,

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus