[nycbug-talk] Nagios or...?

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Thu May 29 22:18:46 EDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 10:13 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2008, David Lawson wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2008, at 2:19 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I've still got some old (1.x) Nagios installs that basically work,
>>> but
>>> have become a bit quirky.  I started looking for info on upgrading
>>> and it
>>> seems like the easiest path they've got is to start from scratch
>>> on the
>>> new version.  Since even that is a fair bit of work, I'm wondering
>>> what
>>> else is out there that's comparable.
>>
>> I actually just did a Nagios 1.x to Nagios 2.x upgrade and it's
>> nowhere near as bad as you might think.  Took me about an hour, all
>> told.  That said, depending on your needs, OpenNMS or ZenOSS may be
>> worth a check for you as well, I've considered using both, and have
>> worked with/for companies that have used both.
>
> A big thanks to everyone that replied, I appreciate your input very
> much.
>
> I'm pretty much leaning towards Nagios 3, but I'm going to give
> ZenOSS a shot as well just to see what it looks like.  When I saw
> OpenNMS was all java that pretty much scared me away.  I've not had
> any very productive encounters with FreeBSD+Java.  My utility box
> already has to run php and mod_perl and adding tomcat to the mix
> would probably do it in.

Yeah, FreeBSD + Java is rarely a happy place, and I actually know of a
big hosting company that just switched from OpenNMS to ZenOSS, so I
think that's worth a look.  Last time I checked into it was a year or
so ago and it was very much beta code, but I get the feeling it's
matured a lot since then.

--Dave