[nycbug-talk] Cogent and Sprint - a signal of things getting Oldschool?

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:27:28 EDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alex,

>>> I'm no economist, but didn't the raw free market, and Freedman-style
>>> economics, just wholly collapse?
>>
>> not even close, check out the Weirmar republic or whatever they are
>> calling Rhodisa now for economic collapse.
>
> I said Freedman-style economics- as in Milton Friedman- not market
> capitalism itself!

Reread what you wrote:
ike> I'm no economist, but didn't the raw free market, and Freedman-style
ike> economics, just wholly collapse?

I said no because people still, world over, have faith in the dollar.
Since the currency is still believed to be valuble and stable the
collaps has not happend.  When people start buying all the trade goods
they can and hording them then you have a problem.  When you need to
renegotate your pay each morning and after lunch to take into account
inflation, and get paid at lunch time and end of day, then you have a
problem.

> <snip- toll roads>

>>> Well, at least the Obama campaign seems serious about getting
>>> government more involved...
>>
>> this is a good thing????  EVER?????
>
> As I stated in a different post, I believe Government regulation is not
> evil.  We may simply disagree on this.

I never said evil I said never good.  Unfourtunitly it is nessary some times.

>>> So like it or not, (and from my post, I'm terribly uneasy about either
>>> Obama or McCain taking this on), it will be on the table in some way
>>> soon enough.

>>> Perhaps- but I don't even think Kapor is really in a position to serve
>>> as a public servant in this way.
>>
>> looking back on the drug Czar, it will raise my taxes and make my life
>> more difficult.  Gov likes problems, fixing them could shut down whole
>> branches of the fed and/or local gov.  Why would a career bureaucrat
>> cut his own throat like that, and why would the people next to him let
>> him cut theirs as well?
>
> I don't really know how to respond to this Marc.  I see your points, but
> this becomes a purely political conversation, and on this list, I'm only
> interested in engaging politics with regard to how it affects technology,
> the internet, and ultimately, UNIX- so I'd like to drop this.

Think paladium chip on your motheboard, sorry freebsd is not an
approved os.  I can go on but will show rare, for me anyway,
restraint.

enjoy the weelkend,

marc

--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus