[nycbug-talk] Statistical Monitoring

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Tue Nov 4 16:33:01 EST 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

>> Once you get ganglia up and running, all it will do is provide you
>> with statistics and
>> it will be up to you to figure out a way to collect and store them
>> and
>> then do something
>> meaningful with them.
>
> So ganglia is just a means of collecting and storing information?
> It doesn't handle graphing ,etc.?  Forgive these questions - I've
> used cacti a lot in the past, but never in a place where we didn't
> need SNMP-only data.  So I'm looking at other alternatives.

gmond collects statistics from the host. You'll need a client
application to actually collect those statistics from the host and
archive them somewhere. After that, after that, you will need to
somehow create graphs from that data.

However, there is an application called "Ganglia Web Frontend" which
seems to be a cacti like application for ganglia. I have never used
it, but maybe that will be worth looking into.

Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer