[nycbug-talk] Yup, I did it: chown -R ....

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Fri Nov 7 12:35:48 EST 2008

New rule to myself: NEVER FORCE YOURSELF to work when you're under the
weather.

I've felt horrible for a few days now, and it shows.  I meant to chown -R
root:users /some/directory but ended up doing it to the root.  I ctrl-c'd
about 2 seconds later but damage was already done.

Luckily, I have a few other boxes and I compared them to this one with a
custom script and was able to get the group back to where it was, but I'm
afraid I set files that shouldn't be owned by root to being owned by root.

At this point, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything, or if there is
a program out there that will run through your user:group/permissions
settings (of course on system files only) verifying they are set correctly
compared to the base install or something.

Any suggestions?