[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD gmirror

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sun Nov 9 02:00:37 EST 2008

> On Nov 8, 2008, at 9:04 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>
>> Wondering if anyone has used FreeBSD's geom gmirror for production
>> purposes, and what their experiences are.

Sortof- I ran into gmirror for a small emergency, where the disks were
both failing on a box I'd never touched before and did not build to
begin with.

Noteworthy:  In my case, a rare case, I needed physical access to at
the very least, unplug the failing drive, so I could see straight (I
had to try booting the box on each drive until it came back up).
In this instance, I would even hang before the filesystems were being
loaded, so it was impossible to troubleshoot from a running system.
The failure I was experiencing was intermittent on one drive,
S.M.A.R.T didn't catch it even...  But this scenario could have
happened with hardware RAID, so...

Regardless, I was impressed that with a bit of quick reading, I could
simply 'turn off' the Geom Mirror, modify the fstab, remove the bad
drive- and Viola, the drive booted as a UFS drive like normal.  *Very*
cool- saved the day in fact.  Client chose to get a second server for
backups instead of making a new gmirror (tiny office).

I was simply impressed with how clear gmirror was to use, especially
in a pinch.

On Nov 9, 2008, at 12:32 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

> Production?  Define please.
>
> I'm using gmirror on my gateway at home, my development box at home,
> and soon my workstation at the office.

I think George is deploying internet-facing servers, (vs desktop use
or something), just because I believe I know what he's up to with
these boxes.  Actually, because of physical proximity, production is a
term I use mostly for servers- workstations/desktops have human
contact, and therefore different expectations- (a user can push the
button, etc...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yr-Pp4PFVA

It's not a bad question though, in the context of mirroring, physical
access could play an important role with some RAID schemes- etc...

--
Ya know, without an ounce of sarcasm, I truly would love to hear the
definition of 'Production' from others- (or hammer it out on list).

To me, Production tries to label a given software or hardware as
proven not to:

- Not fail in ways which take food of my plate (at work)
- Not fail in ways which are unexpected
- Not fail in ways which make me cry (at home)
+ Be Reliable/Proven/Stable/Trusted software in an assumed or given