[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD box rebooting itself

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Wed Nov 12 15:08:35 EST 2008

Problem started today @ 8:30 AM or so...

Nov 12 07:38:47 pluto sshd[73708]: error: PAM: authentication error for
illegal user soandso from ipaddress
Nov 12 08:41:59 pluto syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel

So you can see this was a hard reboot since no "reboot" was issued or
anything (and I got disk mount complaints later in dmesg):

WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted

Just happened again about 20 minutes ago.

My first guess is a hardware issue (power supply, etc.), but does anyone
know of any other possibilities?  I'm hoping this isn't some super hidden
reboot root kit or something.

-MJ