[nycbug-talk] Cogent and Sprint - a signal of things getting Oldschool?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Oct 31 19:34:50 EDT 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Max Gribov wrote:

> Im sure Alex has more interesting things to contribute to this, but i
> think this article illustrates the event pretty well:
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/10/wrestling-with-the-zombie-spri.shtml
>
> note how nasa has single homed networks both on spring and cogent - much
> lolz that is

Nice.

I've not followed the ups and downs of ISP dramas in a long time, but my
gut feeling, even before reading the Renesys blog, was "oh, sprint still
sells internets?".  Personally, I think this hurts Sprint the most.  My
gut feeling is that they are something of a has-been in this market.

One thing that really has me wondering, and again, this is probably an
Alex question, is an odd situation I ran into a few years back...  I was
toying around with two providers - L3 and HE.  I primarily wanted HE as
backup, since L3 was not really soaking us and they generally have their
shit together outside of the management/sales/install realms.  No matter
how much I prepended our HE announcement, I just could not squash the
inbound traffic.  Apparently HE buys transit from Cogent and there are a
TON of people that shove all outbound traffic down a Cogent link if they
have one.  This is not that much of a surprise (the volume of traffic was
though), but the thing that puzzled me when I ran a bunch of stuff through
flow-tools was that I was seeing traffic from 1239 (Sprint) coming in
through HE via Cogent.  I'm still puzzled as to what that was about - from
my view, it looked like Sprint jamming traffic down Cogent rather than L3
(I'm certain Sprint and L3 peer).

I think I had a point...  I think it's that Cogent is cheap not just
because they're cheap, but because their business model and their network
is built for $1k/100Mb connections.  Compare and contrast with sprint -
Cogent doesn't screw around with T1s, DSL, T3s for the most part, they are
just dropping fiber into big buildings and not screwing around with any
last mile stuff that costs them time/money.  Sprint on the other hand
likely has a majority of their customers hanging off of ILEC loops...  It
all just seems much more expensive and high-touch compared to Cogent.  And
who can more easily tell their customers to piss off about this?  Sprint?
Will they tell some shmuck paying $1K/month for a T1 that they can't have
a refund?  Can cogent say the same to someone paying $1K/month for 100Mb/s
of bandwidth?

Cogent wins...