[nycbug-talk] Serial cable for sunfire v210

Mikel King mikel.king at olivent.com
Thu Sep 25 11:46:46 EDT 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 10:18 AM, nikolai wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I inherited an old V210 with no cdrom and no video card
> that runs Solaris. I know the root password, but ...
> root is not allowed over the network, so my only
> option of getting into the box is serial. My trusty
> old null cable doesn't seem to be working.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me about what sort of cable I need
> there (and where to get it :). Any pointers are welcome.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Nikolai

Nikolai,

	It's been years since I did Sun via serial console. From what I
remember do not connect the keyboard to the server on which you plan
to use serial console. Sun machines on power-up check the presence of
the keyboard. If something is plugged in, they assume the console
input device is the keyboard. If it doesn't see any keyboard, it
redirects console input/output to serial port "A". I dug this out of
my old book marks perhaps it will help I think it says something
similar.

		http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/serial/

Cheers,
Mikel King
CEO, Olivent Technologies
Senior Editor, Daemon News
Columnist, BSD Magazine
6 Alpine Court
Medford, NY 11763
http://www.olivent.com
http://www.daemonnews.org
http://www.bsdmag.org
skype: mikel.king
t: 631.627.3055
m: 646.554.3660
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.