[nycbug-talk] New Setup Questions

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Fri Apr 17 13:42:20 EDT 2009

We're launching an entirely new setup across FreeBSD boxes - about 50
servers total.  I have two things which I'm still somewhat debating, and
thought I'd get a second opinion.

First, instead of using CFEngine to manage the boxes, I was thinking of
using an SVN-based setup.  Each server would checkout their appropriate
files via SVN, and I would "trigger" each server when it needs an update
via config files that would be fetched often via either ftp or svn.  This
is neat and flexible, but not as complex as CFEngine.  Thoughts?

Second, I'm trying to decide how to do packages.  Across the 50 servers
we'll have about 6 or 7 different hardware sets.  Some will be Dell, some
IBM, etc.  Most will be 64 bit boxes (to address larger memory ranges).
Should I set up a single server for each class (and do make package to
create packages for each box), or should I just compile ports from source
on each box, verifying that I'm installing the same package version each
time (which will allow each box to take advantage of the benefits of its
specific hardware).

Those are my two questions, and I'd appreciate any input anyone can
provide.  Thanks!

-Matt