[nycbug-talk] fave BSD tips/tricks?

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Wed Aug 26 18:49:03 EDT 2009

>>>>> "jba" == Jerry B Altzman <jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com> writes:

   jba> Why are developers on production servers?

examples Brian gave, Wireshark and Purify, both apply to production
systems.  basically, to fix bugs.  Someone else mentioned dtrace which
is also designed to be used on production machines because performance
data is often something that's better collected than simulated.

   jba> Why are you developing on production servers?

You're not.

What I think Jerry's really saying is ``why do I have to put up with
people smarter than me with all their fancy smart-person tools using
my machines?  I should have a separate space where I don't have to
accomodate them, so I'm maximally free to do the small job for which I
was hired, a job at which I'm provably quite good.''  I think this is
a really valid view and a strong point.  yeah these guys do break
things.  so long as you state it honestly, that what you're really
doing is making your box deliberately rude, ponderous, and unwelcoming
to keep other authorized people off of it, maybe people your
management told you ``let them on,'' not defending from outside
attackers.

however...using some of these powerful complicated observational tools
is, serious win, like night and day, and if you can welcome these
people in comfortably instead of talking obstructionist circles in
meetings, you will all win big.  I wish I'd brought it up so clearly.

   jba> Once again, how can you have MORE clutter when FEWER things
   jba> are there?

haha yeah.  I leave this as an exercise for the reader.