[nycbug-talk] UPS / battery backups

Kit Halsted lists at kithalsted.com
Mon Aug 31 22:45:42 EDT 2009

After the 3rd time my old APC took down my entire rack, I replaced it
with either a CyberPower or a Tripp LIte. I'm a little foggy now, as a
month earlier my other ancient APC had started taking down my home
entertainment stuff, so I replaced that with the other brand. Either
one is *way* better bang for the buck than APC.

I will never use another APC unit after seeing them fail this way.
(I.e. wall power still working fine, but UPS stops supplying power.)
Kinda defeats the purpose of buying one in the first place, no?

Okay, I looked. I bought a 485VA CyberPower on sale at Staples to use
with my AV gear and a Tripp Lite Smart 1000 LCD 1KVA unit from New Egg
for my rack. The big one was right around $150 shipped. It's not
rackable, but the LED does rotate for horizontal or vertical
deployment. It did well in the recent double-whammy power outage we
had here, keeping me on teh Intarwebs in spite of the darkness.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit