[nycbug-talk] version control for config files

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Feb 26 18:27:46 EST 2009

Howdy,

I think the subject pretty much sums it up - I'm sick of not tracking
changes in /etc and /usr/local/etc.  I want something that deal with file
permissions and is relatively transparent.

I've been googling around, but finding not much other than weird
contortions based on CVS that make such huge disclaimers as "this of
course does not work with symlinks" or "this of course does not maintain
file ownership/permissions".

cfengine and the like do more than I want...

Any interesting ideas out there?

The most I have to work with is perhaps a dozen servers, maybe almost that
many jails.

Thanks,

Charles

___