[nycbug-talk] i missed the puppet meeting

Mark Saad nonesuch at bad-apples.org
Thu Jan 8 16:12:05 EST 2009

My Points
* For the most part its a CFEngine rewrite in Ruby.
* Its written in ruby and has "ruby issues"
* They use a nice looking Declarative language to "program" your nodes /
servers
* You can use erb templates to assist you with complex deployments .
* There is no built in support for line by line editing of files, Redhat
as a proprietary add on to do this on Redhat Only.
* They support most UNIX / Linux platforms Its not "Open source for
Linux only"
* You can't have a hierarchy of Puppet Master servers.
* Out of box scalability is limited do to the use of Ruby's Webrick web
server
* Some scalability can be  attained using mongrel and web proxies .

It sounds cool but I am not sure why I would want to use it other then
to say, I have used it.