[nycbug-talk] dns abuse

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Wed Jan 21 11:08:04 EST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Yarema wrote:

> Steven Kreuzer wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Max Gribov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> saw a huge spike in root zone ns queries on my servers starting this
>>> friday 16th
>>> Heres a sample log:
>>> 19-Jan-2009 14:19:14.565 client 69.50.x.x#63328: query: . IN NS +
>>> 19-Jan-2009 14:19:15.689 client 76.9.x.x#35549: query: . IN NS +
>>> 19-Jan-2009 14:19:21.257 client 76.9.x.x#9389: query: . IN NS +
>>>
>>> some machines query as often as 20-30 times a minute. No idea why
>>> this
>>> would be happening, doesnt look like legitimate traffic to me..
>>> Is anyone else experiencing this?
>>>
>>> If you're having same issue, you can do this in pf to throttle it a
>>> bit:
>>> pass in quick on $ext inet proto udp from any to <server> port 53
>>> keep
>>> state (max-src-states 1)
>>

>> Your DNS servers are/were being used for a DoS attack against
>> 76.9.31.42 and 69.50.142.110
>>
>> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5713
>
> Steve, what makes you say that Max's DNS servers were used for a DDoS
> attack against 76.9.31.42 and 69.50.142.110?  It seems to me like it's
> the other way around..  But I haven't got my brain wrapped around this
> one yet so I'm just looking to get enlightened on the matter.

Remember the good ol days (1998) when you would send a single ICMP
echo request
to the broadcast address of a network and hundreds of machines on the
network would
send back an echo reply.

If you changed the source address to address of some other host, you
could send
a single packet that would result in a huge amount of traffic being
sent to your victim.
If you found a large enough network, you could successfully take your
victim offline from
your home machine connected to AOL at 9600 Bps.

This is pretty much the same concept, just applied in a new and
creative way. Someone makes
a request for a root name server which is a small query that generates
a large response. You change
the source address to the IPs you want to DDoS and eventually their
pipes are so clogged with DNS
traffic they eventually become unreachable.

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer