[nycbug-talk] VPS solutions?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Fri Jul 24 02:53:30 EDT 2009

pete at nomadlogic.org (User Pete) wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 09:24:58AM -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to setup a few production VPS servers on a quad core beefy box.
> >
> > Seems like some options we have are OpenVZ, HyperVM, and Virtuozzo.  This
> > will be my first venture into the virtualization world, and I'm wondering
> > which option is better cost-wise (the latter isn't free), and FreeBSD-wise
> > (I'd like to run at least one or two FreeBSD instances).
> >

> I'd say that Xen may be your best bet atm.  i know this is what
> rootbsd.net is using for their VPS offerings and it seems to work quite
> well.  a close second for bsd systems would be sun's virtual-box imho.
>
> virtual box will allow you to run freebsd as the hypervisor as well as a
> "guest".  for xen i've heard good things about using netbsd as the
> hypervisor.

If you think about serious virtualization I would not consider
virtualbox as an option.  It is good for "home" development as this
doesn't really compare to real VZ solutions like VMWare ESXi or Citrix
XenServer, as those are bare metal hypervisors.  If you wanna go with
that, I would choose VMWare as they got full support for FreeBSD as
guest.

On the other note though, why not use FreeBSD's native jail(8).  This is
a very mature and advanced virtualization technology especially now with
full virtual network stack implemented.

--Andy