[nycbug-talk] VPS solutions?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Jul 29 05:22:52 EDT 2009

Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:

> >  I would choose VMware anyday because it is really a standard in
> > virtualization technology and FreeBSD has been supported on it as a
> > guest for years now.  And what's wrong with having one Windoze box as a
> > management machine?
>
> So are you saying that in order to use VMware, you have to have a windows
> machine to manage it?  We only have access to Unix-based OS's and console.

There is a beta version of vCenter for Linux.

 http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/vcserver_linux

> There isn't a good solution that supports both FreeBSD and linux that we
> can manage right from the console of the master box?

This is exactly what VMware and Citrix Xen are addressing.  They allow
to remotely manage all virtual resources from the central console.
Though I will leave it to others to comment on the stability of FreeBSD
under Xen.  I only know about VMware and I can say that the speed and
performance is good.  Linux is probably behaving similar under both
technologies.

--Andy