[nycbug-talk] jail article

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jun 3 11:51:59 EDT 2009

I know this was posted to /., but it's well worth posting and
discussing, IMHO.

http://www.playingwithwire.com/2009/06/virtual-failure-yippiemove-switches-from-vmware-to-freebsd-jails/

And here's the tinyurl for those who prefer :)

http://tinyurl.com/msvljj

(sorry, had to drop that joke in there)

The conclusion to draw about this article is simple to me: there's no
perfect solution to virtualization. . . it depends on your needs.

FreeBSD jails are great in terms of system demands. . . . Drop 20 jails
on a P4 and 4 gig of RAM, each with their own IP, and no problems.

Can you imagine doing that with other virtualization software like
VMWare, with 20 instances, on those specs?

Jails are the right solution for certain scenarios. . . and I think the
virtualization debates and discussions tend to compare apples to, er,
live chickens.