[nycbug-talk] jail article

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jun 3 12:13:48 EDT 2009

On 3-Jun-09, at 8:51 AM, George Rosamond wrote:

> I know this was posted to /., but it's well worth posting and
> discussing, IMHO.
>
> http://www.playingwithwire.com/2009/06/virtual-failure-yippiemove-switches-from-vmware-to-freebsd-jails/
>
> And here's the tinyurl for those who prefer :)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/msvljj
>
> (sorry, had to drop that joke in there)
>
> The conclusion to draw about this article is simple to me: there's no
> perfect solution to virtualization. . . it depends on your needs.
>
> FreeBSD jails are great in terms of system demands. . . . Drop 20
> jails
> on a P4 and 4 gig of RAM, each with their own IP, and no problems.
>
> Can you imagine doing that with other virtualization software like
> VMWare, with 20 instances, on those specs?
>
> Jails are the right solution for certain scenarios. . . and I think
> the
> virtualization debates and discussions tend to compare apples to, er,
> live chickens.

hear hear!  that was an interesting article for sure and you bring up
a really good point about how hypervisors and jail's fill pretty much
separate roles...

as an aside there is some fun code comming up in freebsd-8 for
jailsv2.  the ability to have multiple IP's per jail was one of the
ones that i think i remember reading about...

-p