[nycbug-talk] Soft updates

N.J. Thomas thomas at zaph.org
Thu Jun 4 21:35:00 EDT 2009

* <mark.saad at ymail.com> [2009-06-04 17:11:35+0000]:
> Why do you not want to Have soft updates on / . I can't remember the
> exact reason why this was bad, can someone educate me.

I believe the reason was that if there is a crash, a partition that has
softupdates turned on would be susceptible to data corruption.

The standard reply to this is that your root partition should be small
and you shouldn't really be writing anything to it anyways, so some
folks say it is okay to turn it on for the root partition.

For production machines, I leave softupdates turned off for the root
partition.

Thomas