[nycbug-talk] [OT] - Subversion Conflicts

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Jun 29 17:30:53 EDT 2009

On 29-Jun-09, at 2:11 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

>> This isn't really a svn problem as I understand it, since this is
>> about just
>> having multiple people work in the same directory and stepping on
>> each
>> other's toes - let's hope someone doesn't put in 5 hours of dev on
>> a file,
>> then have someone else overwrite :)
>
> Yup, agreed.  This isn't an SVN thing.  This is more "how do I make
> freebsd somehow keep all files in a directory, recursively, owned by
> the
> same user/group".  The cron idea would work, potentially running
> every 5
> minutes and just doing:
>
> chown -R www:user /usr/local/www/webroot
>
> but its a major hack.  And it only allows people to check in once
> every 5
> minutes.

sorry i haven't been following this thread too closely but would it be
possible to restrict access to your repo via a wrapper script that is
run as the user/group whose permissions you want to preserve?

for example have devs check code in via a script, or alias, that
performs the ci as the www uid via a pass-wordless sudo command...

again, i havn't read the thread really so i'm not sure if you covered
this already :)

-p