[nycbug-talk] Switch to FreeBSD from RHEL

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Fri Mar 6 12:08:16 EST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> I'm currently in the middle of a data center migration project and
> we're
> considering switching to my long time favorite OS, FreeBSD.
> Luckily, the
> higher ups are also FreeBSD fans, but its the higher ups of the
> higher ups
> that need convincing.
>
> While I personally feel that FreeBSD is superior in out of box
> security,
> ease of configuration (rc.conf file, etc.), packages (ports system /
> pkg_create vs. rpm), stability and performance, etc., my opinion is
> probably very biased.  I just have a few things to ask everyone, and
> I'd
> be hoping for some documentation to back it up if possible.
>
> 1) FreeBSD vs. Linux - I passed on the single document linked on
> bsdjobs.net that outlines the differences between the two, but I was
> hoping for something more recent and solid.  Any links?  Like I
> said, I'm
> sold - it's convincing others.

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

- SNIP -

> A) Apache - performance comparisons?  In the past, I've seen a
> performance
> gain overall switching web's to FreeBSD from Linux.  Does this still
> hold
> true with apache_2.x?

Take a look at accept_filter(9)

"The utility of accf_http is such that a server will not have to context
switch several times before performing the initial parsing of the
request.  This effectively reduces the amount of required CPU
utilization
to handle incoming requests by keeping active processes in preforking
servers such as Apache low and reducing the size of the file descriptor
set that needs to be managed by interfaces such as select(), poll() or
kevent() based servers."

For whats its worth, during the 90's porn boom, most of the
sites hosting adult content ran FreeBSD because it was able to handle
large
amounts of traffic.

However, Getting web sites to scale depends on much more then the
underlying
operating system. Its something that I could talk about for hours
without mentioning
the OS once.

Check out http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html

> C) PHP - any performance differences?

php on FreeBSD is just as painful as it is on Linux.

> D) Memcache - any performance differences?

Take a look at mdcached

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/projects/mdcached.html

--
Steven Kreuzer