[nycbug-talk] Sun News Roundup

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Fri Mar 20 10:54:56 EDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:
> Have you heard about their frankengcc?  It's neat, and I plan to use
> it.  I also find it HIGHLY offensive, though I guess people who use
> *BSD are required to swear loyalty to the BSD license instead of GPL
> so you will probably not be offended, but at least you can still
> understand, the software Sun has co-opted here is GPL software, so the
> authors of the software would probably be offended, and even as BSD
> advocates you may agree far enough to empathize for how the author's
> intent was frustrated by Sun's sneaky pedantic manoevering:
>
> http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/

Blame the FSF for Sun having to fork gcc. Unless you are willing to
sign over
the copyright to any code to you want to submit to any GNU project,
they will not accept any
patches from you.

It makes sense that sun would want to have extensions in gcc for
optimizing under SPARC.
This way you can have a single build infrastructure and target any
architecture.

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer