[nycbug-talk] Mixed RHEL / FreeBSD environment

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski_s at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 21:52:05 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried a mixed RHEL and FreeBSD environment?  We're 100%
RHEL right now, but migrating to a new data center.  Considering the
options and the amount of BSD fans in the mix, we'd like to switch at
least the lower trafficked boxes (utility boxes, jump boxes, etc.) to
FreeBSD.  We are also debating making our webs FreeBSD, because of some
research that shows Apache seems to run nicely on FreeBSD compared to RHEL
(if not better in certain circumstances).

100% FreeBSD is not an option, for the fact that for now, we're going to
keep our database boxes (which will only have a LAN connection) RHEL.
This is because of the recent issues with FreeBSD and MySQL performance
vs. RHEL.  We've done our own testing, and have had good results, but feel
like coupling a data center migration AND an OS change on the DB servers
(where we are most likely to have performance problems) is too many
changes at once.

What are everyone's thoughts?  Is a potentially mixed environment like
this potentially beneficial?  Stupid?  I'm also very curious to know of
people's research on Apache/PHP with FreeBSD vs. Linux.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,
I have been very happy with with openBSD as a border secure services, email, virus gateways for email and front end web proxy servers. I use gentoo for web services internal email, ldap directories and stuff like that. Freebsd for storage, firewalls  and open source databases. Sun intel and sparc I use in mixed HPC and web service arrangments.
I got really great results with cool threads and apache, but I also been very succesful with tunig apache with linux. For me in mixed environment only managable solution is not relaying on default packaging and making my own application "portals" that i can compile and build according to base I am installing on ...
hope this helps ...