[nycbug-talk] Eric S. Raymond speaks heresy

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Tue Mar 24 08:52:16 EDT 2009

Eric S. Raymond spoke at the Long Island Linux Users Group not to long
ago and I found a blog post from someone who was at the talk.
According to him the GPL and other viral licenses are no longer needed
as they do more harm than good to the community.

  "One of my heretical opinions is that we worry way too much about
licensing. And in particular; I don't think we really need reciprocal
licensing. I don't think we need licenses like the GPL, that punish
people for taking code closed-source."

He then went on to say that the BSD style licenses are a better
alternative to the GPL

The entire transcript of that portion of the talk can be found at  http://dotcommie.net//feed/index.php?id=160
and video of the entire talk can be found at http://www.archive.org/details/LILUG_20090310_ESR

--