[nycbug-talk] Split Horizon DNS

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Thu May 14 16:13:18 EDT 2009

> If your ISP is nationwide and has a cluster of nameservers at
> ``national headquarters'' instead of spreading recursive resolvers
> over all their POP's, then you are much better running your own
> recursive resolver and not using forwarding because (a) you get lower
> latency on the queries themselves and (b) many CDN's will end up
> serving you better because they'll know where you are.

So you're saying that I should remove the forwarders {} block out of named
entirely and just have my internal DNS servers gather data from the roots
directly?  This would work except, I don't believe the boxes are able to
do external DNS queries (outbound firewall rules), and the other boxes are
local to the network.