[nycbug-talk] (a bit ot) web server weird stuff

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Tue May 19 15:46:11 EDT 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Steve Rieger wrote:

> George Rosamond wrote:
>>
>> Just taking some stabs here, or at least stating the obvious. . .
>>
>> The only URLs i ever remember seeing in access.logs (in apache or
>> lighttpd) are connected to bots and spiders for indexing.
>>
>> Is it possible that users can proxy through this box?  Is mod_proxy
>> enabled in the conf file?
>>

> mod_proxy is enabled,
> i serve tomcat via lighttpd (both on localhost)

I don't know enough about lighttpd or mod_proxy to offer suggestions,
but I imagine it has some kind of ACL mechanism to let you tighten
things up.  In Squid there's a set of allowed destinations that can be
defined, so I'd look into whether there's something similar for
lighttpd, if you set that up and it's working, all those weird entries
will 403 status codes.

--Dave