[nycbug-talk] Approach for the NFS cluster

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue May 19 16:46:32 EDT 2009

On 19-May-09, at 12:42 PM, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> on 5/19/2009 3:30 PM Isaac Levy said the following:
>> Wordup All,
>> Keeping data state is always a trick.
>>> Worth the pursuit.
>> Indeed.... down the rabbit hole though...,
>
> I'd be interested to find *anyone* who's gotten a good roll-your-own
> HA
> NFS / HA NAS setup working on BSD. I've seen a lot of DRBD/Heartbeat
> setups in "semi-production" mode, but that was all on Linux. I know I
> live in a somewhat cloistered, rarefied world, but ...

the trick with a true HA setup for NFS is keeping your file handles in
sync b/w N nodes in your cluster.  this is a pretty serious issue -
sure you can replicate your data b/w N nodes using tricks like DRBD,
which frankly has a pretty negative performance penalty, or using a
global filesystem behind your NFS servers (hadoop, gpfs, etc).

I wouldn't consider these solutions to be highly available - highly
replicated maybe, but I'm not sure they increase your "availability"
in failure scenarios.  this is why NetApp, EMC, Isilon and Sun get to
charge you lots of money.  Its a hard problem to do correctly and
reliably.  Although when it works it is nice to see that you can be
reading from a file, failover your NFS server, and not be disrupted :)

FWIW - the new Sun 7000 "open storage" platform has the ability to be
configured in an HA setup (check out the 7410 which i've just finished
installing actually).  This platform is built on top of OpenSolaris
and ZFS.  Perhaps there is some doc around opensolaris.org that
describes how they handle failover.  i know it's not a BSD solution -
but perhaps there are some bits they use that can be ported over to BSD.

oh yea...both NetApp and Isilon are built on FreeBSD too btw!  So I
guess I have seen this setup on BSD before :)

-pete