[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD ldconfig, subdirectories

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Wed Nov 11 22:00:50 EST 2009

> I have a workaround for this, but I'm curious about a detail that I'm
> missing...
>
> I've setup a 32-bit jail on a 64-bit host.  It works.  However, I see that
> some local libraries from ports/packages end up in subdirectories (ie:
> /usr/local/lib/mysql).  This seems to be normal based on what I've seen on
> other hosts.
>
> However I have some subdirectories in one of my "lib32" search paths and
> none of the libs in the subdirectories get added (confirmed with "ldconfig
> -32 -r").

I've had a terrible time getting FreeBSD's ldconfig look through the
directories I tell it, recursive or not.  On Linux it's a simple .conf
directive, but I've yet to find anything but symlink and similar hacks in
FreeBSD.  The documented .conf settings don't appear to have an effect.

> I can find no documentation explaining when ldconfig descends into
> subdirectories and when it does not.  Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

Unfortunately no, except to keep things in pre-determined system paths.