[nycbug-talk] Specifying hardware for a freenas setup???

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Tue Oct 13 18:00:30 EDT 2009

* Joshua S. Freeman <jf2412 at columbia.edu> [2009-10-13 17:48:21-0400]:
> I wonder if something like this:
> http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS409slim/index.php
> would work...

I would double check with the FreeNAS guys before you purchase to be
sure. It also can't hurt to ask/search around and see if other people
have used it with FreeNAS before.

> I wonder how you'd get the freenas mgmt. software onto it though...
> That's the part I'm having trouble getting my mind around.

That's pretty easy. FreeNAS provides an image file that you "burn"
(using dd or some other utility) onto a USB key and then plug that into
your device and boot off it. (That's pretty much how you would install
the OS on a netbook as well.)

Thomas